Thursday, October 21, 2010

Not so Good Banana Coconut Raisin Bran Muffins

I got inspired to buy some new ingredients for my cupboard, all in the name of the perfect muffin. Of course I had to give bran a try. I followed the directions on the bag, with some modifications, and it was a bust-- wrapper didn't peal easily from the muffin (my husband's pet-peeve) and just blah. It has potential though. In the name of posting failures as well as successes along the way, here's the link to the original recipe from Shiloh Farms and below is mine, with the changes, which maybe what ruined it! Any recommendations for turning this from blah to a fabulous muffin recipe are welcome.

My take away from these muffins was to add bran to other recipes (the bran bag suggests replacing 1/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup bran), but not to try Bran Muffins. But really, I think I want to try this recipe again sometime, perhaps soaking the bran in juice or milk instead of water and adding some butter.

Preheat over to 350

In a small sauce pan mix:
1 cup bran
1 cup boiling water

In another bowl mix:
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup plain yogurt
2 mashed bananas


In another bowl mix:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix all three bowls together, along with:
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Pour into 12 buttered or lined muffin pans and cook for about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment